Why is load planning important in the transportation industry?
In a decade where transportation costs are increasing owing to the hike in fuel prices and labor shortage in the trucking industry, load planning has become more important than ever before. The importance of load planning in logistics revolves around the need to reduce operating costs including fuel, driver wages and other mechanical costs resulting from trucks that return empty to the destination. While manual load planning lacks real-time visibility and takes a lot of time and effort, part load transport services backed by technological solutions have evolved to counter the challenges of empty miles.
Difference between full truckload and less than truckload shipping
- Full truckload: Full truckload shipping refers to loading large shipments from a specific cargo provider on a single truck. It is the most convenient option for large and fragile shipments as you can take complete control of the shipment delivery. It does not require multiple stops on the way to pick up loads and does not require handling of fragile shipments in between the final destination. Truck owners can also benefit from full truckloads without the need for multiple trips and additional expenses.
- Partial truckload shipping: Partial truckload shipping provides a collaborative service where multiple cargo providers load their shipments on a single truck and pay for the space occupied by their cargo. This is one of the most cost effective methods as it reduces the need for hiring an entire truck for few shipments and paying for the full capacity even without utilizing the complete space. Moreover, it helps truck owners to find more loads from multiple shippers without having to depend on a single cargo provider. Part load transport services provided by major shipping companies and online truck booking platforms help with partial truckload shipping.
What are the benefits of using part load transport services for shipping?
Finding the right truck capacity for shipments is a challenge when you have few shipments of different sizes at multiple locations that have to be delivered. In such cases, a part load transport service is the ideal solution to unify all the small shipments onto a truck along with shipments from other cargo providers. Similarly, truck owners might not find full loads at every deal and their trucks return empty most of the time. Part load booking is beneficial for truck owners as they can find shipments along the way and complete a productive trip with revenue.
How online truck booking platforms help with partial truckload shipping?
Manual truck or load booking is a complex process as there is a lack of visibility unless the shippers and carriers belong to a local shipping association where they can find deals or through brokers which is often expensive as they require a commission. Using technology to streamline load planning enhances productivity and cost effectiveness. There are a number of benefits of online truck booking platforms as they provide shippers and carriers with the option of partial truckload shipping which is achieved through real-time visibility of the shipping process.
- Find trucks & loads in real-time: Shippers and carriers need not depend on mutual contacts or brokers to find and negotiate a deal. Shippers and carriers can list their trucks and loads in real-time on an online truck booking platform and make a booking.
- Reduce operating costs: Shippers can reduce operating costs for hiring a full truck and carriers can reduce operating costs in terms of fuel for the fleet and wages for the drivers in case of empty miles.
- Eliminate middleman: Brokers require a commission for their services but you can eliminate the cost of middlemen with an online truck booking platform. There are some commission-free online truck booking platforms like AxleDirectory where you can list your trucks and loads for free.
Let’s Wrap Up!
Load planning is a crucial aspect of logistics operations to reduce additional expenses and increase productivity. Full truckload and partial truckload shipping has its own benefits. However, part load transport services are ideal to combine shipments and find loads much quicker and efficiently. Using an online truck booking platform like AxleDirectory for part load booking helps to find trucks and loads in real-time, reduce operating costs and eliminate middlemen.
Axlerate is a unified platform for Logistics management, payments and services. Our solutions help to simplify tolls, fuel purchases, fleet expenses, loans, insurance, escrow, payments, truck booking, fleet management and the buying and selling of logistics products and services.